Many food products contain oil and water. These phases are immiscible, but can coexist in a stable form in food products through emulsification. Emulsion technology is the route to obtain such stable mixtures. The stability and breakdown of emulsions has to be tuned to the right application: a stable product on the shelf, a specific creamy mouth feel or a satiating product. NIZO has ingredient and processing expertise to make food emulsions.
• Homogenization: blending facilities and high pressure homogenizers are
operational on lab and pilot plant scale (sterile, up to 1500 bar).
• Emulsifiers: with emulsifiers either available from nature (proteins,
lecithins, gum Arabic) or lab-designed (protein
aggregates/tubuli, Pickering particles), stable water-oil interphases can be
• Application testing: UHT processing lines and ice cream,
mousse and margarine processing facilities are currently available on
pilot plant scale to enable fast screening of fats and emulsifiers in|
various product formats.
• Characterization: emulsified systems can be fully characterized for their
structure, heat stability, texture and taste by using CSLM in combination
with Optical Tribology, NMR, TA, MS-Nose and other techniques.
• Shelf life tests of emulsified food systems can be performed at NIZO,
enabling complete support from emulsion design to performance