So, you would like to know more about my expertise, my interests and what these could mean for you?
My expertise is all about measuring human perception and performance. "How do consumers smell, taste and feel foods and how can this knowledge be used to improve foods and enhance consumer acceptance".
At NIZO, I am mostly involved in research that involves:
- measuring the sensory consequences of altering the product formulation,
- finding formulations of foods that will result in a desired sensory outcome, given restraints like reduced sucrose content, reduced salt content, reduced fat content and the like.
- measuring eating behaviour in ways that teach us what aspects of a food are most relevant for optimising sensory quality and liking (in the media: WDR2010).
- exploring cross-modal influences in perception: mutual enhancement or suppression of taste, smell, texture and sight of food (in the media: beta.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/790-het-hongerige-brein)
Used techniques and methods for this research are:
- Analytical sensory panels
- Consumer panels
- Automated and combined taste and odor presentation (gustometry, olfactometry)
- Mood-related electrophysiology (Heart rate measures)
- Analysis of oral behaviour in relation to perception and the breakdown of food in the oral cavity.